ABOUT US

This is the official Blog of Group G students of University of the Philippines-Open University Masters of Arts in Nursing N207 Theoretical...

Sunday, August 20, 2017

SHARING GROUP MEMBERS PERSONAL EXPERIENCE ON HOW WE RELATE WITH THE THEORY





Benner proposed that a nurse could gain knowledge and skills without actually learning a theory. She describes this as a nurse "knowing how" without "knowing that." She further explains that the development of knowledge in fields such as nursing is made up of the extension of knowledge through research and understanding through clinical experience.In my experience, when it was my first years of being a staff nurse in pediatric department, I greatly relied on my senior’s instructions and teachings. My senior nurses were assigned to be my buddies during my shift. They will do the patient’s care to the patients assigned to us, while I keenly observe them do the nursing care, and then teach me how to do it, such as bed bathing the patients, suctioning the intubated patients, and establishing intravenous access. (almost all of my “workplace” knowledge were provided by my seniors.)

As the years passed, I now gained deeper background of experience and intuitive grasp of the clinical situation, I can perceive that when there are relevant signs and symptoms happening to my patients as being highly febrile, tachycardic, cold clammy extremities and drop in blood pressure, even drop in blood sugar in severely ill infants, the patient is significantly having a septic shock and needed an immediate referral to he doctor.

Our institution also provides regular seminars and talks to refresh me and give me up to date knowledge about the field of nursing. Thus, I can say that I can now rely on my experience and learned skills and can independently do assessment to  patients and creating care plan for them. As well as providing education to the patients as needed.

Truly, that a nurse could gain knowledge and skills without actually learning a theory. And that the development of knowledge in fields such as nursing is made up of the extension of knowledge through research and understanding through clinical experience.  -MARIA LOURDES TROCINO
                            


 Patricia Benner’s Novice to Expert theory is one of the theories we will never forget due to the fact that we have experienced it and some are in the process of achieving the role of an expert Nurse.
7 years ago, I was just a newly graduate nurse that is very enthusiastic of the new world I will be stepping in.  I often imagined myself participating in hospital procedures so easy and swiftly doing it without mistakes.  Most of the time, I thought that the knowledge and skills I acquired from school is enough to make me a good nurse.  I then realized I was wrong.
My first hospital experience was at Baguio General Hospital and Medical Center, where in 2011 they were accepting Nurses as Nurse fellow or trainee.  It was a 4 month stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit and you are assigned in rotation to 4 subunits: Delivery and Newborn Care, Sick babies, Well babies and Mother and Child room.   I was overwhelmed at the current situation at that time and was expecting a very ideal setup, but of course, you can’t have an ideal setup in a government hospital in the Philippines.  I just do what my older staff nurses tell me to do and often I try to observe them. I always thought “This is not what the book says.” And honestly, I was rigid and inflexible.
In few months’ time, I worked as RN HEALS for 1 year at the same institution but now I was rotated in major areas –medical ward and private rooms.  Again my excitement heightened. Why not? New experiences and new learning awaits me.  I experienced difficulty at first, I was caring for adults now and with different cases but now I knew more and I have to know more.  I could not accept that I’d be finishing this year without being confident with the nursing skills I acquired through my hospital duties and being unable to explain cases of my patients.  Soon, I.  I gained self-esteem and I knew I was better than before.
Today marks my 6 years of experience as a Nurse. Currently working for 3 years in the Neurology Department and Stroke Unit.  Now, I know how to make decision making based on the situation set upon me and I am guiding my fellow colleagues.  I have gained self-reliance and was flexible enough to meet the needs of my patients.
 I believe that there is always room for growth and learning as long you never underestimate yourself and you are open to new things.  I always keep in mind that an expert nurse was once a newbie nurse.-CATHERINE TAFALENG



Continuous learning is inherent to nursing practice.  We can use the novice to expert theory of Benner as a guage in measuring nurses level of experience and competence  in their course of nursing career. Through this, nurses will be able to assess their competency in performing nurses task and find strategies to hasten their skills.   
For example my own experience in the hospital  I am working with right now, nurses were being assess yearly base on our skills such as   performing bedside procedures, assisting physicians, communication , social interactions,  bedside medical equipment manipulations and patient care. Furthermore, competencies were conducted yearly to assess how familiar we are with our hospital wide policy. We were encouraged also to share our learning to the new staff in the area. It is overwhelming how it feels to precept for I can compare myself to them during my orientation phase. Thanks to my colleagues who enriched me with constructive criticisms and patiently taught me how to cope for they became my guide in assessing my performace in the area. 
Knowing ones limitations in applied nursing is a big help being used to step up from being novice to expert. -LEZLIE AN UGALE


 

5 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maria Asuncion VillanuevaSeptember 5, 2017 at 10:56 PM

    Indeed,continuing education is essential to safe and effective nursing care. The amount of knowledge required to take care of critically ill patients cannot be obtained simply through experience on the unit or at the bedside.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HOW I GOT CURED OF HERPES VIRUS.

    Hello everyone out there, i am here to give my testimony about a herbalist called dr imoloa. i was infected with herpes simplex virus 2 in 2013, i went to many hospitals for cure but there was no solution, so i was thinking on how i can get a solution out so that my body can be okay. one day i was in the pool side browsing and thinking of where i can get a solution. i go through many website were i saw so many testimonies about dr imoloa on how he cured them. i did not believe but i decided to give him a try, i contacted him and he prepared the herpes for me which i recieved through DHL courier service. i took it for two weeks after then he instructed me to go for check up, after the test i was confirmed herpes negative. am so free and happy. so, if you have problem or you are infected with any disease kindly contact him on email--- drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com. or / whatssapp --+2347081986098.
    This testimony serve as an expression of my gratitude. he also have herbal cure for COLD SORE, SHINGLES, CANCER, HEPATITICS A, B. DIABETES 1/2, HIV/AIDS, CHRONIC PANCERATIC, CHLAMYDIA, ZIKA VIRUS, EMPHYSEMA, LOW SPERM COUNT, ENZYMA, COUGH, ULCER, ARTHRITIS, LEUKEMIA, LYME DISEASE, ASTHMA, IMPOTENCE, BARENESS/INFERTILITY, WEAK ERECTION, PENIS ENLARGEMENT. AND SO ON.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HOW DR IMOLOA HERBAL MEDICINE HELPED ME GET RID OF MY 3 YEARS HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS. Hello everyone my name is DONALD am from the united states i have been suffering from (HERPES) disease since 2016 and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulate all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctor, few weeks ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the prevention of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (Hepatitis B and Cancer) by this Man Dr Imoloa and she also gave the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) he told me not to worry that i was going to be cured!! hmm i never believed it,, well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me as the Doctor assured me that i have been cured,after some time i went to my doctor to confirmed if i have been finally healed behold it was TRUE, So friends my advise is, if you have such sickness or any other at all like hepatitis A,B,C,CANCER,HPV,HIV/AIDS,DIABETES 1 AND 2,SMALL PENIS PROBLEM ,HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE SYPHILIS, WEAK ERECTION,BREAST ENLARGEMENT AND many more ....... you can email him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com) or whatsapp him on +2347081986098. Sir, i am indeed grateful for the help i will forever be grateful for the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr. Imoloa has really made me so much believe in him by getting me cured with his herbal treatment. i really appreciate you Dr.imoloa for bringing back happiness to my life again. thank you so much,friends join me to thank him for what he has actually done for me i pray to you all for a good life and good health, and most especially to you Dr. imoloa Thanks

    I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) disease for the past four years and had constant pain, especially in my knees. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday.This disease started circulating all over my body and i have been taking treatment from my doctors, few months ago i came on search on the internet if i could get any information concerning the cure of this disease, on my search i saw a testimony of someone who has been healed from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) by this Man Dr imoloa and she drop the email address of this man and advise we should contact him for any sickness that he would be of help, so i wrote to Dr. imoloa telling him about my (HERPES Virus) well after all the procedures and remedy given to me by this man few weeks later i started experiencing changes all over me. I am now here to testify that i am no longer a herpes patient, I have experience a total transformation in my life,for all herpes patients get your herbal medicine to cure your sickness. And there has being rapid improvement in my health, I no longer feel pains and I wake up each morning feeling revived. So friends my advise is if you have such sickness or any other at all,you can contact him on drimolaherbalmademedicine@gmail.com, you can still reach him on whatssap- +2347081986098
    CANCER
    EPILEPSY.
    GENPILENCIN.
    HIV AIDS.
    DIABETICS
    STROKE.
    BREAST ENLARGEMENT...PENIS ENLARGEMENT, H.P.V TYPE 1 TYPE 2 TYPE 3 AND TYPE 4. TYPE HUMAN PAPAILOMA VIRUS HERPES. SYPHILIS. HEPATITIS A B and C.

    ReplyDelete